Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Watch out Crescent City Classic, here I come!

I can hardly believe its only 3 days until I will be walking the CCC! I'm both excited and nervous! But I'm also completely confident in myself! I will finish! I've worked really hard to get ready for this. Anyone who knows me, knows I am morally opposed to sweating for any reason! LOL And believe me when I tell you I work up a sweat walking longer distances. Exercise has not really interested me, in fact I find it completely boring. But I have really enjoyed training for the CCC. It's been a very goal directed process. And I've watched myself grow in confidence and ability over the last 13 weeks.

I want to take a moment to thank my coaches/mentors Karen and Dave Massey. Both of them are truly inspirational people in my life. And both of them are dear friends as well. They have played a huge roll in the success of my training for the CCC. They created my training schedule for me. And took a woman whose legs were screaming for relief after a 15 minute walk 3 months ago, and transformed me into a walking machine! And, I might add, they did all this long distance. Having Dave and Karen to coach and mentor me through this, has been a transforming experience. And I know they will continue to be there to work toward many other goals as I continue this amazing transformation. You can get more information about Karen and Dave the website for their non profit: A Good Day, Inc.

I would say the hardest part of the training for me was walking or exercising after work. I work very hard all day. Occupational Therapy is a very physical job. I start early with showering and other ADLs (activities of daily living) and then exercise my patients to prepare them to return home. I walk up and down the hallways of the hospital/nursing home all day. I lift people and assist them with all sorts of activities. I am TIRED at the end of my day. All I want to do is go home and collapse onto the sofa until bedtime. I wish I were more of a morning person, so I could walk before work. But to get up and walk 30mins, then shower and be at work by 7, geeze I'd have to get up at 530 or earlier! Of course now that I've written it, I'm sitting here wondering if I could do that for 2 mornings a week. Then maybe I could do some yoga on the other evenings after work. Hmmmm, its a thought. Can I really be transforming into a morning person? Say it isn't so! (have I mentioned I'm also morally opposed to mornings?)

So, tonight I'm packing my bags for my weekend trip home to NOLA! I head out tomorrow after my CPR class, which is after work. I'm off on Friday so I can go *REGISTER* (yes, I forgot to do it - I'm using my lack of internet service at home as my excuse! LOL) and attend the Expo for the CCC. Also going to the Odinet Crawfish Boil, mmmmmmmm my first boiled crawfish in over 2 years! I'm staying at my Aunt Rosie's house in Arabi and I'm excited to get to visit with her and all the cousins. I'm also hoping to get to see my friend Dee at Scrappersaurus this weekend. And of course walk the CCC with Karen (Dave is running so he will be waiting for us at the finish line). My Dad is taking me to dinner Saturday night if I can still walk! And then we are doing brunch on Sunday before I head back up here to Natchez.

No comments: