Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Baby Steps . . .

So getting back to real life can be a challenge. Choices are difficult to make in the hectic crazy schedule of everyday real life. I have tried to make healthy choices in everyday life. But its hard work. And there are *so* many choices to make. What to eat, how much to eat, when to eat, what to drink, how much to drink, when to drink, take vitamins, which ones, how many, the choices seem endless and are overwhelming to face on a daily basis.

So, if I'm going to have a chance at making healthy changes, I need to take baby steps. Last week I started taking my vitamins again. Have you ever walked down the vitamin aisle at the grocery or drug store? Hundreds of vitamins and supplements out there. How do you know what to take and when to take it? I have a regimen I have used over the years. It's a compilation of several years of suggestions and exploration. I take my vitamins at night, because i hate "vitamin burp" that i have for hours if i take them in the morning. I take a multivitamin, superB complex, C, and E. I also take glucosamine/chondroiten twice a day and have started taking flax seed oil capsules twice a day. Are there more I need or might benefit from? I don't know. But at least I'm taking them daily again.

This week I've started changing my drinking habits. Trying to get in those recommended 8 glasses of water a day. Cutting down on cold drinks to one a day. Cutting back on caffeine and cutting back on artificial sweetener.

I've been reading a couple of books about healthy eating/dieting. You on a Diet by Drs. Roizen and Oz, and The 3-Hour Diet and 8 Minutes in the Morning by Jorge Cruise. I'm also looking into finding an indoor pool either at a rec center or fitness place where I can start doing some walking in water and possibly aqua aerobics in the future. I've also been checking into yoga places for some gentle yoga classes.

So I've taking my first 2 baby steps. I'm trying to make good choices while i prepare for the next steps in my quest for a healthy lifestyle. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd appreciate them. Til next time . . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think those are fabulous baby steps, and I counted more than two. Taking vitamins, cutting down on caffeine, drinking more water, finding a gym. That's at least four. I think the most important step though is involving all of us in the process. I think we feel the same that any of us who knows you feels.Once you put your mind and heart into it and decide you are going to do it, you are unstoppable. We love you and think that so far you are taking all the right baby steps. Dare we say mini blow horns? =-)

Deidra (504) 475-4278 said...

Chris, if you are looking at doing some reading on healthier lifestyles, why don't you check out the e-book I downloaded that helped me lose over 100 pounds? Here's the link to the website. It is worth every penny (I think it's around $39.99 or so). The writer's ideas make good sense and following her suggestions seemed so easy it couldn't work, but it did. Let me know what you think.
Dee