Friday, November 16, 2007

Blustery Day

Today was a blustery day in the metro DC area. I was driving up Connecticut Ave this morning on the way to work and the leaves of many colors were raining down upon my car as I drove and the wind swirled them all around. It was a beautiful magical experience. And a great way to start a Friday morning.

The leaves here are amazing. They are literally *everywhere* right now. Huge piles swept up at curbs and edges of properties. I used to rake leaves for my Maw Maw in her small yard on Lebeau Street. Magnolia leaves that fell and needed to be raked year round. These leaves are different. All shapes and sizes and the most beautiful colors imaginable. It's amazing to me and the locals say its a tame year for the colors. I sometimes drive through Rock Creek Park and through a couple of residential neighborhoods on my way to work. I can get mesmerized by the leaves swirling around. Not a good thing to happen while driving!

I had no idea how beautiful autumn could be until now. I remember as a teenager/ young adult, my mom used to say the only place you saw fall colors in New Orleans was a little patch of land right before the big green (now grey) bridge over the now infamous MRGO heading from St. Bernard to New Orleans East. If you looked hard left right at the foot of the bridge there were a few trees that actually changed colors and it was like a scene from a picture postcard. I doubt seriously its still there in this post Katrina world. It was beautiful, but completely incomparable to what I see on a daily basis here.

So I'm very thankful to here to experience fall for the first time. I originally extended here through the end of the year to leave my options open for the Hawaii possibility. That possibility no longer exists as that facility has hired OTs and will not be needed an OT traveler anytime soon. Maybe someday, but it won't happen for me soon.

I'm antsy to move on to my next adventure. I love the rehab team I'm working with right now and I'm making some really cool friends here. And I'm *loving* fall. But I know my next adventure is waiting out there for me with a new place to live, new friends to meet and hopefully old friends and family to visit. The holidays and heading toward us full steam ahead. I've got about 6weeks left here in DC. Where I go next is to be determined, but we will start looking seriously in 2 weeks.

No comments: