Sunday, August 26, 2007

Back to real life . . .

Well almost, since my real life now involves traveling to fabulous places, visiting family and friends and working at a different job every 3-6-9 months. :)

I'm back 'home' in DC, and I spent the day getting ready to go back to work and back to real life. My apartment is a wreck (no big surprise there!) and my fridge was empty when I got back last night. So I made groceries and started picking up around here. Cooked a couple of easy things so I have lunch the next couple of days, put new sheets on the bed, etc.

It's here in the everyday life that I hope to make new changes. But it's also here in everyday life that changes are the hardest. Old habits are hard to break. I know I need to start small.

My friends Dave and Karen love me very much. They took a huge risk when I was vacationing with them last week. They talked to me about my weight. It's been my experience that you have to love someone a whole lot, enough to risk hurting their feelings and possibly losing your relationship with them in order to bring up such a touchy subject. It made me cry to know that they cared that much about me.


I know many, most, probably all of you in my life worry about my weight and my health. So do I. And that is a blow horn right there. I spent years not really caring about it at all. But now that I've regained all the weight I lost in 2000-2001, I find myself uncomfortable in my body. It is a new feeling to me. I know that may be hard to believe, but it's the truth. I've often joked that I am a reverse-anorexic, I look in the mirror and I see a 'normal' sized person. And for years I didn't even notice my body was so big. But believe me I notice now.

My life has changed so much. I am open to new opportunities in my life. But there are just so many things I can't do that I want to do. I've never really noticed it before, I guess because I was so closed in by the walls I had put up to protect me from the world. But as the walls come down, I see things I want to do, and right now I just cant do them. I feel sad, angry and frustrated. And I think, I hope, I know I'm ready to do something about it.

I didn't start this blog as a weight-loss journal. I *did* start it to communicate with and get support from my family and friends as I make changes and take advantages of opportunities. In 2000 when I started making changes in my lifestyle and diet, I did it secretly for a very long time. I was pretty sure it wouldn't work, and even when it started to, I was very sure it wouldn't last. My life is significantly different now and I want to take advantage of that difference. I am more connected to the world in general and to my friends and family specifically. I don't want to try to make hard changes in my lifestyle without asking for and getting the support I need from all of you.

So, if you have any suggestions, ideas or thoughts you would be willing to share with me I'd appreciate it. I have the comments set to be moderated (by me) so that I don't end up with a ton of spam clogging up the blog.

It's getting late, til next time. . .

P.S. I'll post a link with pictures from my fabulous Hawaii trip soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Chris!! This is Bev, Karen's mom. I've never done this BLOG thing before so this is VERY interesting!! The "Blow Horn" story is so funny and also touching as you've used it as a theme of change for your life.

I'm amazed at the truly significant, positive changes you've already made to your life! I think this time next year, you will be so amazed at far you are in your "healthier me" project.

Hey, we don't have palm trees here (OK, we have one light-up palm tree on the patio) and "blow horn" signs are hard to find, but when you are ready for a Western Colorado adventure, come and see us!!! In the meantime, we'll follow along on your sharp right turns.