Sunday, June 1, 2008

Live In (Not) Sunny California!

So I've been living in California for a week now. My first week of work is over. I've learned the 'shortcut' to work. Ann flew back home on Thursday, and I've been on my own since then. The people I'm working with are very nice. They are a pretty stable team and I'm covering for a maternity leave.

I'm not actually working in Eureka, I'm working in a little town 20 miles south, Fortuna, CA. Actually its 21.6miles door to door, about 32 minutes. And the price of gas here is $4.45 a gallon. Yes, you read that correctly: $4.45 per gallon. The cost of living here is unbelievable.

The weather here is interesting. Fog every morning, with lows in the 40s and highs in the 50s-60s. It's often overcast. But I have seen sun a couple of afternoons on the way home. Most days a light jacket is useful.

I'm still unpacking, a little at a time. I'm living in a 4-plex. The landlord is a feisty 80 year old. She rents exclusively to travelers, though usually to nurses. I've met one of my neighbors, they are all 3 nurses who work the night shift. We have a coin operated laundry (1 wash, 1 dry) in the garage type building in the yard and we all have covered parking. I live at the end of a nice quiet street in an older Eureka neighborhood.

I'm heading down to L. A. next weekend to see my friend Karen. She's been working as a traveler in the LA area and her assignment will be ending in 3 weeks. So I'm going down to visit her before she moves on to her next assignment.

I can't believe it's already June. This year is passing very fast. I'm hoping to really enjoy my 3 months here in CA. Hope you all have a great weekend!

No comments: